For my Data Visualization course, I have been tasked with finding a set of data to analyze for what will be our final project. The following blog post will outline what said data is and some initial important questions surrounding it.
Which Data Set Will I Be Using?
The data set that I have decided to analyze deals with domestic animals that have gone missing in the City of Vancouver since 2001 (up to the present day).
What Kind of Data Does the Data Set Contain?
This data set provides the researcher with a plethora of information to work with. The name of the pet, a description (coat), the date it was reported missing, the pet's gender, and the breed of the animal.
What is Hard to Understand From the Data Set?
The only real obstacle I am faced with in regards to the data set itself is what "matched" means under the "state" column. I can figure this out in several ways, either calling a pound and asking or by seeing what I can dig up on the ol' World Wide Web. Beyond this, I feel like listing all different types of sub-breeds under the "breeds" column may created a bit of confusion, but I will see if there is a way to clarify all of that via Google or my instructor.
Questions I Hope To Answer From My Data Set
There are several questions I hope to answer through working with the data set:
1) What breed of animal is most likely to be lost in the City of Vancouver?
2) Are male or female animals more likely to go missing?
3) What year saw the most reported missing animals?
4) What percentage of animals that go missing in Vancouver end up being found? Is it more likely to lose your animal for good than recovering it?
Considering I work in animal feed and pet food, I am really interested in finding out the answer to some of these questions, and if more animals end up being recovered more often than lost for good, I may be able to shed some optimism on customers who have animals go missing!
Your questions will provide some interesting answers especially your fourth question. The answers can tell you how well people look after their animals or how hard it is for people who have somehow lost their animals to find them once again.
ReplyDeleteLooking at the data set, I'm curious as to what it means when they list the animals gender as being "X". There might be something to look in to there. The questions you have are super solid, and hopefully it doesn't get too hard to track when it comes to breed, as most of the breeds look like they're really specific, especially since it includes mixed breeds.
ReplyDeleteYou have lots of raw data to work with, but an obstacle I think you'll have is the lack of columns for information. I believe your questions will provide you with some very interesting answers.
ReplyDeleteAs a pet owner and animal lover, I am looking forward to seeing what you continue to discover with this dataset. I've had pets go missing before and it is not a great situation. The questions you have listed are good and I think will definitely be useful for your research.
ReplyDelete